23 October 2013

Review: OTTOBRE Design S/S 2012


Seriously? This magazine is incredible. I truly love their patterns. They are the perfect blend of functional and detailed. Now lets see if YOU feel the same.

This is OTTOBRE Design S/S 2012. It has plenty of designs that are now added to my to-make list. Does anybody else have a mile long to make list? That's ok - I like the endless possibilities!

There are two sections in this magazine: Never Without a Dress and Bon Voyage.

All Pattern Technical Drawings

Patterns I Love


Look at that first dress! It is stunning. It reminds me of The Naked Dress from Sex and the City that Carrie wore for her bus photo? Anybody? No? Just me? Well alright, it's stunning. I wouldn't personally wear it in beige unless I was wearing it as an impressive nightie, but in black or maroon. Perfecto.


This gingham dress and the bird pattern dress on the last pattern have the same design with different sleeves. Both are easy to wear, functional dresses. I like both sleeve options a lot but there is just something to easy about this gimgham dress with its pointy sleeves that makes me want to make an exact replica of it! Note to self: find 1 inch black/white gingham fabric.


This dress is absolutely adorable. I am a sucker for anything similar to a babydoll or little girls dress - but for grown-ups! Those adorable flower accents are a beautiful eye catching feature. I also love the shape of the bodice with the nice strap curves. The magazine doesn't explain how to make the flower pieces but it would be easy to find out - OR I could buy the beautiful black lifted flowered fabric I saw at the store today and save myself the tedious work of making 50 flower attachments.....


Bubblehem! I like the yoke feature but as it stands the dress would just be a paper bag on me, but if I took out some of the ease around the middle this dress could be a great addition to my day-to-day dresses. Can't get enough to those. And that sweater is an easy make with nice front pieces.


I'm thinking that OTTOBRE Designs will be my go-to for jackets because this jacket is yet another one that I love. I even love it in this beige colour (I don't typically wear beige/light grey). The design is clean and sleek with a nice thick collar. The bottoms they used are great. Where to buy them now. I might make the capri pants sans front starched line but they aren't anything special. 


Now both of these are cute. I want to make them both. In similar fabrics. But green. My favourite is the cross front shirt as I really like the double point on the bottom hem that the fabric makes. And the skirt would also be a great addition to my daily wears - maybe in a dark brown or wool for a winter mini? (oxymoron eh?)

Patterns That Don't Catch My Fancy

two baggy shirts and two basics. Neither the pink flower shirt nor the beige bag are my style. I don't understand the beige one - who needs extra material just hanging at their hips? Not this pear-shaped human that is for sure. I like the idea behind it but the result just would not be flattering. Maybe for a really fat day to make myself look the way I feel?


Again, the loose, baggy hems of the shirt and the sweater just don't look flattering. There is nothing wrong with the dress, it is a simple sheath dress, it just isn't my style. I need something to define my waistline more. add a belt maybe. Nah, I'll just pass.

So another wonderful magazine by OTTOBRE Designs! What are your feelings about this issue? Would you make any of these designs? Do you disagree with any of my opinions? Lets hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment